3.15.2010

'Make a Complaint Monday'- Jaeli's Habit

I love books......especially childrens' books.  I think they have fun messages, brightly colored pages and different, new words for little ones.  Children can learn soooo much from reading and just looking at books.  Jaeli is getting quite the collection of books, BUT, she is chewing HOLES in them!  As a former teacher, and mother it makes me sad to see her ruin books.  I guess she REALLY, REALLY likes the taste of cardboard and paper. 

 



When she starts to chew, I take the book away, hoping the message will reach the cute little thing, but no luck.  I have also moved all the books to a shelf she cannot reach on her own, YET, so the only way she can have access to a book is when mommy, daddy or grandma reads it to her.   Any ideas on how to keep my child from chewing on her books would be greatly appreciated.  I really want her to appreciate and gain a love and respect for books.

2 comments:

Lindsey T said...

Sad! Half of my boys' books look just the same. I think you're doing all you can for the moment, just keep them out of her reach unless you're reading to her. They grow out of it eventually, just in time to start ripping pages and coloring all over them! My almost 5 year old is finally starting to take care of his things, so there's hope yet!!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Sad, my 4 nephews did that too and it made me cringe! Our books will not be allowed out of our sight until those kids can read!