2.15.2010

'Make a Complaint Monday'-Supplying Your Children

My Classroom right before School started.

I have been thinking about 'Make a Complaint Monday', but nothing HAD sparked until Dan, my wonderful hubby, spotted something on KSL. Being a former teacher, I had an "IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME" moment when he related the article to me:

**Parents SHOULD be expected, IF THEY ARE ABLE, to supply their children with school supplies.**

I'm not sure when you went through Elementary school, but don't you remember YOUR, YES YOUR VERY OWN PARENTS, supplying you with school supplies? I mean, your teacher may have given you a pencil here or there, but for the most part the sparkly pencil box, a variety of erasers and the colorful folders to keep work in were provided by your parents. As a teacher, you do get an "Allowance" for the year, from the State and the Legislature.....BUT I can tell you that it's not enough to provide your students with EVERYTHING they need for a whole school year.
Again, as a teacher, I didn't mind helping my students out. In fact, I couldn't wait to buy crayons, folders and glue sticks in bulk for the class. Hearing, "You must be a teacher", at the check-out stands put a smile on my face. In the picture above, look at the students' desks. This was just the beginning of EVERYTHING I had for them. But teachers can't do it. Most of them REALLY do wish they could......but on our "Allowance" and paycheck, we can't.

Thank you, as parents, for understanding...........and if you can, supply your children with all you can. :)
My FREAKING Awesome Husband helping me put names on the notebooks.

7 comments:

Kristin said...

I had no idea that teachers were buying their students school supplies until I worked at K-Mart in college. I was ringing up a teacher who was buying boxes and boxes of notebooks for her students and I couldn't believe that this wasn't the parent's responsibility. When we were in school it sure was and it should be that way again. This teacher that I was helping was using her own money to buy these supplies and that further shocked me and later I found that this was common. This is something that definitely needs to be changed.

Tawna said...

AMEN SISTA!!! I buy everything, and the money given to me is gone so fast, I spend hundreds of dollars out of my own pocket. Not only for school supplies, but items needed for lessons I'm teaching in Science and such..ugh. I need more money! ;)

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Amen! I know I don't have it nearly as bad as other grades though...cause there aren't as many supplies Kindergartners need.

austin-sara.blogspot.com said...

hi visiting from SITS :)

Jewls said...

Ha ha, my mom totally relates to this one! She spends so much money on her students, it's a wonder she even makes money at all teaching!

Afton said...

I totally agree Nat. Parents should provide their own childrens supplies. The only thing that bugs me is that parents with kids in our local school are asked to provide 30 glue sticks-enough for the whole class..or 30 boxes of crayons, etc. I dont think some parents can afford school supplies, so the responsibility gets pushed onto parents that maybe can provide. -but that doesnt mean its easy for them.

Anonymous said...

Crack me up Nat! Look how awesome Dan is to help you at this "wonderful" time before the first days of school! Maybe, just maybe Hank will help me get ready for the new year...! Also, you would NEVER have wanted some kids to before bring folders that didn't match the other folders! ;) Tee-hee :)The budget for supplies keeps getting cut so the amount we have is less and less.I understand finances are hard BUT 1 child vs. 26 kids a BIG deal!!! As you know a lot comes out of our own pockets!